Q: What does the venue rental include?
- The rental rate includes use of the venue (Conservatory, Veranda, or Carriage House) for your event.
- No furniture (with the exception of 11 wooden teak tables and 60 wooden teak chairs at the Conservatory for the reception) are included in the rental rate. White ceremony chairs are available for rent upon request for an additional price. All other tables, chairs, china, flatware, glassware, etc. must be rented through a third party vendor
- Setup can begin at the Carriage House at 11:00am. Setup on the Veranda ceremony and reception lawns can begin at 11:00am- any setup on the Veranda Porch can begin no earlier than 2:00pm. Conservatory setup can begin no earlier than 11:00am. Setup at the Live Oaks Pavilion can begin at 11:30am or later.
- Amplified music must be turned off by 11:00pm and guest departure by 11:30pm. Vendors can remain on property past 12:00am for breakdown and cleanup.
Q: What is the timing for my wedding?
- Magnolia Plantation is a public garden and is open between the hours of 9:00am-5:00pm. Ceremonies at the Veranda may not start prior to 5:00pm and cocktail hour no earlier than 5:30pm due to the public nature of the venue.
Q: Where can we take photos in the gardens?
- You are welcome to take photos anywhere across the property and the 66 acres of gardens, with the exception of inside the Plantation House and the grounds surrounding the slave cabins. If there is another event on the same evening as your wedding, you will not have access to their location. Please note, the ceremony site for the Veranda is the Long White Bridge Lawn. Carriage House or Conservatory couples will not be able to access the Long White Bridge if there is a Veranda wedding the same evening.
- Due to the close proximity to the Charleston Airport, Magnolia Plantation does not permit drones on property. Please discuss this restriction with your photographer and/or videographer.
Q: Can I host a ceremony rehearsal?
- A one-hour ceremony rehearsal can be hosted the day prior to your wedding. All rehearsal must begin between the times 9:00am - 12:00pm.
Q: Do you allow decorations?
- Yes! We welcome decorations such as flowers, candles and lighting. If you choose to use candles, we require that they are enclosed in glass containers with at least 1-inch above the flame to prevent damage to our surfaces and your linens. We do not allow anything to be applied to the walls or building that will cause damage (nails, tacks, staples, tape, etc.). Doing so will put your damage deposit at risk.
- We allow sparklers, but ask that you properly extinguish them in a metal container with sand. Sparklers must be lit completely away from the building to avoid any damage. Due to the historic nature of the gardens, we do not allow wish lanterns or fireworks on the property.
Q: Do you require a wedding planner?
- Magnolia requires a licensed and insured planner for the Veranda, Conservatory, Carriage House, and Live Oak Pavilion weddings that are hosting a reception. The wedding planner may not be someone who is in the wedding party or attending the wedding as a guest. Please reference the list of our preferred professionals for recommendations.
Q: Do you provide catering services?
- Magnolia Plantation does not provide on-site catering. Charleston is filled with seasoned catering professionals with a depth of experience. All catering companies listed on our preferred professional’s sheet have already been approved with glowing recommendations.
-We do not allow restaurants, food trucks, or private chefs to act as the caterer for your event.
Q: May we provide our own alcohol?
- No. Absolutely no alcohol may be brought on-site by the client or their guests, or client will be subject to additional fines. All alcohol must be served by a pre-approved caterer or a pre-approved professional bar service. Please note that alcohol may only be served in the bridal suite(s) if a bar service is on-site and distributing the alcohol. Please reference our listing of preferred professionals for companies that have been pre-approved to provide this service.
Q: How do I secure my date?
- To reserve a date and venue at Magnolia, we require a non-refundable retainer and signed contract. Please note, we do not hold dates on a tentative basis. Payments can be made by credit card, debit card, checks, or online bank transfer. Checks should be made out to Magnolia Plantation and mailed to 3550 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 29414.
Q: What is the damage deposit for?
- A $500 damage security deposit is required with the signed contract for the Veranda, Carriage House, and Conservatory. This is to cover potential damage by setup or your guests. a $100 damage deposit will be required for the Live Oak Pavilion.
- The deposit will be refunded within 30-days of your event if the property is vacated without damages and provided our cleanup guidelines are followed. If any damages have occurred you will be notified and we will bill you for any repairs over and above the deposit.
Q: I 'm interested in seeing the venue in person. Do you offer tours?
- Yes! We are available for tours by appointment only during our normal business hours, as well as select weekends depending on our event schedule. Please select this form to fill our or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your visit.